Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Nurse the Hate: The Joan Baez/Tom Jones Idea



When a great idea comes along, the most important thing is to grab that momentum and make it happen.  I was speaking with Bobby Lanphier today and we came into the idea of launching a national tour with Joan Baez doing a tribute to Tom Jones.  We are talking full costumes, show band, lots of dancing...  the whole deal.  Sure, maybe Joan Baez isn't the artist that most comes to mind here in that she made her bones as a protest folk singer and is now 76 years old.  Don't count her out.  She's definitely a Double Threat.  I'm sure she can dance.

This idea is Pure Gold.  I'm hoping "her team" doesn't take it and cut us out of the deal.  I will keep you advised as this project comes together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2017

Joan Baez
Diamonds & Rust Productions
PO Box 1026
Mento Park, CA 94026
USA

Dear Ms. Baez,

  I was speaking with my associate, a Mr. Bob Lanphier, earlier today in Nashville (aka “Music City”).  Mr. Lanphier and I had a conversation which took an unexpected turn where we discussed your 1971 hit version of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”.  Though as I understand it, the version was rather unpopular with Levon Helm, it certainly resonated with the public.  That led us to speculate on other potential cover versions of songs that might “pop” with the public, drive your sales, and create a buzz within the industry.

  Allow me, if you will, to say one name.  Tom Jones.  Ms. Baez, I think you’d agree that there’s only two things ALL people really enjoy.  These things are foot massages and the incomparable music of Tom Jones.  My associate and I quickly brainstormed a national tour featuring you with a high energy full band blowing up Tom Jones catalogue performances.  These would be complete with costume changes, lights, and a-c-t-i-o-n.  Imagine if you will a full band blasting behind you as you dazzle the crowd with “What’s New Pussycat?” in a skin tight leather cat suit accompanied by synchronized backup dancers.  That is entertainment pure and simple.  I am envisioning a 75 minute set of just the hits with the magic only you can provide with your golden voice.  Tom never had your pipes, and the possibility of re-inventing these songs is a rare opportunity to hit the bullseye artistically and financially.

  Now it is true that neither my associate nor I have any experience putting on a tour of this magnitude.  He is currently involved in “logistics” for a local hunger initiative.  He is however an Idea Man.  Let me assure you that he would only put on a show with the upmost respect for both the music and legacy of both you and Mr. Jones.  He is a bit of a song and dance man himself so his heart is always with the artists.  Me?  I will be the marketing arm of this monster.  I see billboards, TV, digital takeovers and even good old fashioned hand leaflets.  The media will explode on the target audiences.  We will need to secure key network morning news performance showcases to launch the tour, so just as an upfront warning you’ll likely have to smile through some couch interviews. 

  We mean business.  This tour will have a logical progression.  Large clubs to small theaters to outdoor sheds.  We will continue to up the production values as we ascend, though I will add the caveat that our initial club dates will have costuming and choreography headed up by my associate and I.  He has a pretty good eye for clothes and I think I'm a decent dancer.  He and I should be great as backup dancers for the initial shows.  Rest assured, we will be VERY hands on during the entire launch phase.

  I hope you are as excited about this idea as I am.  I will be in the Bay Area next week if you’d like to take a meeting.  I prefer to meet directly with you so we can avoid having your management team water down our vision.  We can loop them in at the appropriate time.

  Looking forward to our meeting,





  Greg Miller  

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2017 at 6:28:00 PM EST , Blogger old man taylor said...

Will tour plan include markets the size of Fort Wayne?

 
At November 29, 2017 at 10:11:00 AM EST , Blogger Greg Miller said...

While most of the markets will be "primary" markets on this tour, it is common knowledge that Ms. Baez does not consider Ft. Wayne to be a "tertiary" market. I would expect a large theater.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home