Saturday, December 2, 2017

Nurse the Hate: Trickle Down NFL Bets





It was great for America that the tax reform bill passed, and by “great for America” I mean “great for anyone that is a billionaire or a CEO of a corporation”.  I like to think of all those flag waving morons I saw at Trump Reich Rallies last Fall who were under the delusion that The Swamp was going to be drained.  Yes, the swamp was drained.  Right into your living room.  Make sure to wear your “Make America Great Again” baseball cap as you wait for the trillion dollars your boys just gave themselves to “trickle down” to you.  

The idea of “trickle down economics” is so ludicrous it is hard to imagine people falling for it.  The idea is that by the ultra rich and corporations not paying for any of the shit the rest of us pay for, they will drop a good chunk of that money into opportunities for Y-O-U.  My gut tells me that a subgroup of people that is willing to have an insane king in charge and allow our brief empire to fade into the sunset so they can go from “obscenely wealthy” to “slightly more obscenely wealthy” is probably not focused on The Greater Good.   Any corporate job I have ever had has been the same.  When the company has a prosperous year, the four or five people that clawed themselves to the top cut themselves massive bonus checks.  Everyone else gets access to the new coffee machine.  The only thing that “trickled down” was indifference.

It’s every man for himself in our New Trumpian Age.  That’s why I am focused on the only things that matter.  Good wine and gambling on football.  It’s the only thing left in my control.  Of course, there is a valid argument that even that isn’t under my control, but I do need something to hold onto to not fly into the void.  

The problem this week is I don’t feel great about this slate of games.  All the teams now have devastating injuries they are dealing with, and that’s just the ones we know about.  It’s amazing how people like me brazenly say something like “Oh, he’s got a shoulder but he’s going to go”.  That essentially means that some man has a shoulder injury so severe that a normal human being would be incapacitated, but this guy is instead going to run 4.5 forty yard dashes and intentionally run into another 250 pound man doing the same thing.  It’s insane if you even think about it for a second.  However, this is the path I have chosen so let’s get on with it. 

The Houston Texans were an exciting team with DeShaun Watson.  With Tom Savage that is not the case.  He turns the ball over, misses open receivers, and makes Houston fans yearn for the Good Old Days of Brian Hoyer.  They have been getting blown out by decent teams.  Tennessee is a decent team.  They are not a good team.  In fact, they surprised me by beating the Colts by four last week.  Yet at this point in the season, the injury depleted Texans on the road are worse than the Colts.  Look, I get it.  It’s hard to get excited about the Titans.  It’s like trying to pretend you are excited about the vegetarian option airline meal.  Like that meal, this isn’t going to be good.  But I think we can get the job done with Tennessee.

The New York Giants are a total shit show right now.  They somehow decided it was a good idea to publicly humiliate Eli and drop Geno Smith into the starting lineup.  I am aware that Geno Smith is a terrible football player.  The Giants live in the same town as the Jets, so I am very surprised that no one has mentioned to the Giants front office that it is impossible to reliably win a football game with Geno Smith.  Shouldn’t they know someone at the Jets they could have called for a referral?  “Hey, I’m glad I got you on the phone.  We were thinking about benching our two time Super Bowl MVP quarterback, take on a bunch of bad PR, and then fly to the Bay Area to play the Raiders with Geno Smith at the wheel.  As I recall, Geno worked there for a few years.  Would you call him a good employee?  He what?  You don’t say…  Really? Hmmm…”

I am not betting on teams at this point.  I am betting against teams.  I am going to tie these two games together on a tease as well as bet them straight.  Tennessee money line.  Oakland money line.  Tennessee -1/Oakland -2

Season Record:  14-15-1

5 Comments:

At December 2, 2017 at 12:35:00 PM EST , Blogger Mike Scott said...

Gotta be careful with Houston these days. Over the last three weeks Tom Savage has very quietly improved to become only the second or third worst quarterback in the league. I used this knowledge last week when I took Houston +7.5 against the Ravens and reaped the rewards with a dominant 7 point loss. The rest of Houston's lineup is good enough that they should be taken against other bad quarterbacks like Flacco and Marriotta. In before tip off though I would like to keep my new nickname.

Trying to decide if the phrase "good wine" is redundant or an oxymoron.

 
At December 2, 2017 at 2:44:00 PM EST , Blogger Greg Miller said...

I agree with that assessment of Savage. He’s right in that Flacco/Hundley territory. He can’t win that game on the road, can he?

 
At December 2, 2017 at 5:31:00 PM EST , Blogger Mike Scott said...

In the immortal words of Jacob McCandles, "Not hardly".

 
At December 3, 2017 at 8:54:00 AM EST , Blogger Greg Miller said...

I’d hate for Tom Savage to blow up my retirement savings in an otherwise meaningless game against the Titans.

 
At December 4, 2017 at 1:14:00 PM EST , Blogger Mike Scott said...

Retirement safe for at least another week! You should put it all into bitcoin. What could go wrong?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home