Playing The Angles and NFL Week 1 2026
I was upsold at the restaurant. I knew what was happening but the social contract which bound us all had me trapped into compliance to order a bottle of wine that was $50 more than I had budgeted. The server had asked me what I wanted to spend, and what I was looking for as far as region. He excitedly promised to return with a myriad of options in this price range, but instead came back with two options 50% over what we discussed. I was getting played. I knew I was getting played. I bought it anyway, exhausted from the potential effort of the spar and parry to come from trying to get what I had asked for. Later at a different establishment, I was given a glass of cheap cotes du rhone when I had ordered a St. Joseph. I knew the waiter fucked me just to save the restaurant on margins. They must have laughed about it after the shift. Fuckers. Such is life in the Big City.
History has shown that large city service employees exist strictly to try and rip off anyone that wanders into their sphere not knowing all the angles. I think the entire city of Venice was built on scamming tourists in the 1600s, but that might have just been something that I read. Roman peasants must have been fleeced when they were trying to buy a t-shirt of their favorite gladiator when they ventured to the Coliseum. "Flavius the Brave shirts! One denarius here! Three inside! Same Quality!" Two days later some little shepherd kid is all bummed out when his Flavius shirt falls apart after his Mom bashed it with a rock in the river giving it a wash. A story as old as time itself.
Yet, I think there is no other choice than to lean into getting scammed, within reason of course. This is how the economies of these places work. If the taxi driver doesn't pad the fare, the waiter jack up the check, and the hotel charging mystery fees, the entire infrastructure will crumble. What are the shifty eyed African young men going to do if they can't loiter around train stations looking for wounded gazelle? Everyone has their place in this economy regardless of what the AI Doomseeker Techno Bro cult guys have to say.
The key is to see and understand the angles. Then you must accept it. For example, when buying a car at a dealership, assume you are getting fucked. Just know and accept that going in. The car dealer didn't get his place in Naples and his private jet by giving people fare exchange for money. I know a guy that was the GM of a Nissan dealership that made $1.2 million in a year, and he didn't even own the place! It's interesting as I have never met anyone that didn't say that they got a "great deal" with their most recent automobile purchase. While it is good for people's sense of worth, this is self delusional. I get it though. It's tough to walk around and say, "Yes, I did get a new car. Boy did I get fucked on my trade in though! Whew! I helped that dealer make his quarterly nut, that I'll tell ya! I hope he put in a new kitchen in his winter place.".
With this NFL season, my expectation is to take an early asskicking as everything I know is probably wrong. What I'd like to do this opening week is to focus in on betting counter narratives to what is the accepted logic. For example, we are all programmed to believe the Buffalo Bills will be really good because they have been good for so long. It also follows that as it is a QB's league, having Josh Allen on your team means you can't possibly lose. Well, until the playoffs that is... I am assuming that this must be the reason why Buffalo is a favorite over the Texans on the road. My understanding is that the Texans will have a motherfucker of a defense again, and unlike last year where their offensive weapons were all out, they are healthy. Houston beat them last year and in 2024. Why not again? Houston +1.5
For the record, I have no idea if the Steelers are any good. They have that roster profile of name players on the back end of their careers that tends to end badly. However, they can't be any healthier than they are right now when they open up against the Falcons. This isn't so much a bet ON the Steelers, but a bet AGAINST the Falcons. I watched Stefanski for years. He has the worst ATS margin of any veteran coach. He's especially bad when he has a limited QB, just like he does right now with Tua. I have seen Stefanski lose over and over and over to Pittsburgh. We'll see how big a deal it is to not have Tomlin. Pittsburgh -3.5.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home