Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nurse the Hate: Hate The NFL Playoffs





Once again I have been betrayed by the NFL Gods. Whatever is up, is down. Right is wrong. In is out. I was certain that the Chargers would destroy the Jets last week, and stepped up forcefully. The rubble in Haiti is small time compared to what it looked like at my house after that Jet/Charger game. One thing you have to say about San Diego. They know how to get it done. They hold the Jets to no first downs for most of the first half, and still manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. That's the mark of an organization that is dedicated to hanging out in 75 degree weather and watching the rest of the Playoffs from a beach bar. What the hell. It is a good way to spend a Sunday.

This week I have been obsessively focused on watching the Jets lose and have their dreams go down the shitter. That game last week has probably cemented a lengthy unhealthy relationship with that team for years to come. I hate the pretty boy QB Sanchez. I hate the shit talking fatso coach. I hate the suddenly best defensive player of all time Revis. (Why is it no one had heard of Revis until 3 weeks ago, and now he's Butkus, Sanders, and Tatum all rolled into one?) I hate their ugly Titans throwback uniforms. So that's why you have to take with a grain of salt when I say I'm on Indianapolis minus the points.

I am hoping the line moves from the 7.5 down to 7 by game time. The Colts win games, but the common misconception about the 2009 Colts is that they win games with offense. This team doesn't drop 38 points on you. They win games 24-21, 27-24, 20-17. Clearly that leads to anyone with a rational mind taking the Jets with the points. The Jets play good defense, run the ball, and just sort of hang around. They don't get blown out. I know this. However, I have lost my mind. I'm all in on the Colts. Be forewarned. This should be a disaster.

I don't really know what to think about that Viking v Saints game. I had written the Saints off as a team that had peaked too early, but then they looked like the "Greatest Show On Turf" era Rams last week. They look unstoppable on offense, no? But then again the Cards hadn't forced an opponent to punt since around Christmas, so who knows what we saw last week? What we did see last week was a Viking team that totally ripped the scrotums off a pretty good Cowboy team. The Vikings can run the ball. The Vikings can throw the ball if you try to stop the run. The Vikings also have a scary defensive line that can generate pressure while keeping the maximum amount of guys back in coverage. It's this reason why I am taking the Vikings money line over New Orleans and a hedge position with the points at +3.5. If a game is a toss up, give me the long shot odds.

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2010 at 8:38:00 AM EST , Blogger Greg Tully said...

They both look like a good bet to me. That means the SDaints and Jets will be in the Super Bowl...

 
At January 25, 2010 at 1:17:00 AM EST , Blogger Brandonio! said...

Colts all the way baby!

 
At January 25, 2010 at 8:48:00 AM EST , Blogger Greg Miller said...

Thank goodness for that +4.5 hedge I took on the Vikings. That insured a "good" day. I would have preferred a "sensational" day, but what can you do?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home