Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Nurse the Hate: My Continued Treatment



October 18, 2016


Kenneth,

  So much has happened since my last dispatch.  I continue to coalesce at the Rudolfinerhaus Clinic.  Frankly, there was little else that could have been done considering my condition.  The exhaustion I have been afflicted with is quite severe.  In fact, many of the physicians here suspect my case is the most serious they have yet come across.  They have admitted me with the intention of The Complete Treatment.  Dare I say, anything less might not have made an impact.  It's quite serious I'm afraid. 

  As you have no doubt read, The Treatment is quite regimented.  I will admit the taste of the porridge took some getting used to, but I have been lucky that my body has responded well.  I overheard Dr. Kummerling say to one of the orderlies gathering my sample that my bowel movements have improved since my check in six weeks ago.  No doubt the medications have helped in this regard.  At times I feel almost helpless as the nine pills and three enemas are administered each morning by the staff.

  I should mention that you should not be alarmed that this is not handwritten on my usual stationary.  I am dictating this letter to Thomas, my orderly, who will have it typed up by the staff.  I don’t know what I would do without Thomas.  I have grown quite accustomed to him reading me the daily papers and my correspondence as I sit in my wheelchair by the lake.  What a tonic to sit by the lake after my realignments from Nurse Kraus.  Though quite painful, I know I must trust these wonderful doctors.  They are quite well regarded by the society in Venice and much of Paris.   

  They say the Offenburg Spa will be a worthwhile addition to The Treatment, so I suspect they will transport me there to take the waters for the remainder of the month.  Mr. Burgess had been transported there just three weeks ago.  I believe I wrote you of him?  He is the Pacific Railway Man that had been driven quite mad by the winds in Mexico.  A good man Burgess...  We would take our cognac in the library after his crying fits had stopped.  I suspect he will never fully recover and even now is quite mad.  It will be good to see him again.  I hope he has not been placed permanently in the asylum in Leipzig.

  I will journey to Southampton as soon as I am well enough for the Atlantic crossing.  I have concern that my journey might be delayed as the only tickets for the train to the coast still available are in coach.  I cannot bear the suffering of traveling in anything but first class as my condition will not permit it.  As I alluded to, I am quite exhausted.  Thomas has assured me that he has many contacts at the railroad that might yet make my travel civilized enough for consideration.  Pray God if that materializes I will be home swiftly, in a mere two months.  Let mother know.  How she must worry.

  Your brother,

  G. Miller   

    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home