Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nurse the Hate: Hate Rock Music



In the Summertime, I tend to do a lot of reading and a lot of listening to music. I have been very resolute in tracking down some obscure music of late, and really gaining an understanding of what's going on with such relatively meaningless things as Merle Haggard's 60s catalogue, the New Riders of the Purple Sage's live shows in the early 70s, Roger McGuinn's solo work, and completely unknown Mississippi blues artists that were field recorded in the 60s. After you spend time with that sort of thing, you find it's time to make some generalizations about other music... Now that you have your bearings and all... A point of perspective if you will....

Here's a few things I have not said this summer:

* Wouldn't it be great if The Firm got back together and recorded a third record?

* I think The Strokes will be back and better than ever in 2010!

* What's my favorite "make out record"? Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" on disc? What's yours?

* Sometimes I think Nickleback may have sold out, but then I see their Wal Mart commercial and know that they are legit.

* "Oh, that girl is the coolest! She's a Parrothead don't you know!"

* My desert island Rolling Stones record? That's easy! Bridges to Babylon!

* I think the Arctic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, and Vampire Weekend's best years are ahead of them, don't you?

* I love to crank up the car stereo and get the road trip started to Iron and Wine.

* The Supersuckers are wayyyy better now then they were 5 years ago!

* That Don Henley guy seems pretty cool....

* Yes, I do want to go with you to see Dave Mathews! And yes, please bring your sister!

* Man, is that new Bruce Springsteen record good, or what? Let's just bring that with us on the drive to Fresno!


Random Notes: Those two long shot bets on Texas and Colorado to win their divisions look pretty interesting right now, don't they? I don't care if you don't know anything about sports. You should get a bookie, and let me make you money. Both of those are at 10-1+ It's got to be better paying than your crappy job... Last year I went 3-1 on my win totals bets in the NFL. I will release those wagers next week. Let's see if anyone gets hurt this weekend... I would like to once again bring your attention to the Trainwreck Riders from San Fran. I just got their first CD, and really like it. It's like the Meat Puppets meets Neil Young circa "Tonight's the Night"... I have been working my way through Gram Parson's catalogue. He's either great or a total sham. I'm still not sure which, but I am working on it... I highly recommend Southern Tier Brewery's seasonal "Harvest Ale". I drank a few last weekend with their master brewer, and he's a good bloke making damn good beer. Look for it in bottle or on tap if you are in NW New York State... I like USC minus the points in an early lay vs Ohio State. USC wins that game. They have too much... The only thing stopping you from doing what you really want to do is yourself. Don't be a pussy. Gofor it.

1 Comments:

At August 27, 2009 at 6:55:00 PM EDT , Blogger Tony B said...

One time on a commute to work a friend put in an Iron and Wine CD and I was like "what is this shit?". He said he thought I'd like it because they are like Over The Rhine (I'm from Cincy) and I said that they put me to sleep and just because a band is from where I am from, it doesn't mean I like them (e.g. 98 degrees). Bleah, Iron and Whine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home